Martha’s practice focuses on corporate and securities law with a strong focus in mergers and acquisitions. She has represented U.S. and international buyers and sellers in negotiation, structuring, documentation and consummation of public and private merger and acquisition transactions, including mergers, tender and exchange offers, stock and asset acquisitions, and similar strategic transactions. She has experience advising a wide range of clients, including emerging companies in the technology and biotechnology fields, venture capital and private equity funds, financial advisors and more. Martha also advises clients on federal securities laws reporting and compliance and corporate governance matters. Martha was previously legal counsel at Skills Fund, LLC, an Austin-based start-up focused on revolutionizing higher education financing.
- Representing a start-up in all legal matters, including regulatory compliance; drafting and negotiating lending, operating and partnership agreements; creating an equity compensation plan; advising on corporate governance matters; and establishing internal controls.
- Representing a Cayman Islands exempted technology company in its listing of its shares on Nasdaq, followed by its sale to a state-owned enterprise in the People’s republic of China for more than $600 million.
- Representing a U.S.-listed technology company in numerous strategic acquisitions, including the acquisition of a public company listed on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
- Representing a California-based hotel chain in its acquisition of a publicly-listed New York-based hotel chain, including creating a new operating joint venture.
- Representing a $3 billion west-coast technology company in adopting a poison pill plan in connection with a potential hostile acquisition.
- Representing a Bay Area-based, publicly listed technology company in its acquisitions of numerous private companies, both domestic and international.
- Representing a start-up in its acquisition by a major San Francisco-based technology company.
- Representing a China-based private equity fund in its proposed acquisition of a U.S.-based company operating in the healthcare sector.
- Representing a non-profit in connection with review and drafting of documentation for micro-loans made to small businesses.
- Representing a biotechnology venture fund in its investments in U.S. and international biotechnology and health sciences companies.
- Representing a U.S. and China-based private equity fund in its over $2 billion acquisition of a publicly listed hardware company.
- Representing a China-based technology company in an attempted hostile acquisition of a multi-billion dollar U.S. listed corporation.
- Representing an energy company in the sale of its natural gas operations to a Texas-based private equity fund.
- Representing the special committee of a manufacturing company in connection with defending against a hostile acquisition by a major shareholder.
News & Publications
- March 9, 2020
- January 6, 2020
- November 6, 2019
- February 1, 2018
Honors & Recognition
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, a Thomson Reuters service (2020-2021)
Community & Professional
- Root & Rebound, an Oakland, California-based non-profit (Board of Directors)
- Born Into This (Board of Directors)
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D, 2013 (with High Honors; Chancellor’s Society: Keeper of the Peregrinus; Order of the Coif; Texas Law Review)
Columbia University, B.A., East Asian Studies and English Literature, 2007 (with honors)