Michael focuses his practice in commercial real estate law. He works primarily in the areas of acquisition and disposition, as well as the various property development stages from raw land to completed improvements. He represents buyers and sellers of commercial property, including landlords and tenants, along with financial institutions and other commercial lenders.
Michael is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law, Farm and Ranch Real Estate Law and Residential Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Having earned an accounting degree from The University of Texas at Austin along with a Certified Public Accountant license, Michael worked at a national accounting firm prior to attending law school.
Michael’s real estate experience includes:
- Representing buyers and sellers of improved and unimproved commercial, residential and ranch property.
- Negotiation and drafting of acquisition and sale contracts, financing arrangements, and easements and restrictive covenants.
- Negotiating development and construction agreements, design and construction contracts, and issues related to liens, bonds and insurance.
- Representing landlords and tenants of commercial properties, including both lease negotiations and leasehold disputes.
Michael represents financial institutions and other lenders in lending, collections, bankruptcies and general workouts.
Michael assists clients in the formation of small businesses, including partnerships, corporations and limited liability companies.
News & Publications
- The Best Lawyers in America 2021 Names William H. Daniel as ‘Lawyer of the Year,’ Recognizes 18 McGinnis Lochridge AttorneysAugust 20, 2020
- September 3, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020 Names Edward McHorse, Robert R. Reetz, Jr. and Tim George ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 15, 2019
- September 10, 2018
- August 17, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- September 8, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- August 15, 2013
- October 10, 2012
- October 3, 2011
- September 9, 2008
- March 13, 2008
- September 17, 2007
- Author, Basics of Property Taxes for the Real Estate Lawyer, 35th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, State Bar of Texas, San Antonio, TexasJuly 2013
- Author and Speaker, Property Taxes and Title Insurance: Issues and Answers for the Real Estate Lawyer, 2012 Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course, San Antonio, TexasJune 2012
- Co-author and Speaker, Conveyancing Techniques to Preserve Title Insurance in Real Estate Transactions, 22nd Advanced Real Estate Drafting Course, State Bar of Texas, Houston, TexasMarch 2011
- Co-author and Speaker, Conveyancing Techniques to Preserve Title Insurance in Estate Planning and Probate Transactions, 32nd Annual Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Course, State Bar of Texas, Dallas, TexasJune 2008
- Author and Speaker, Title Insurance: Preserving Coverage, Saving Money and Other Useful Tips, 27th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, State Bar of Texas, San Antonio, TexasJuly 2005
Honors & Recognition
- Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified, Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified, Farm and Ranch Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Listed in Best Lawyers©, Banking & Finance law since 1995
- Texas Super Lawyers list, a Thomson Reuters service, Banking Law (2003-2008, 2016-2020)
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1981
The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1977
Blinn College, A.A., 1975
Certified Public Accountant, Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas