Job Summary: The COO will work closely with the firm’s Executive Director, CFO, CMO, Managing Partner, and Management Committee to oversee and manage all operations activities and systems for the Firm.
- Supervise Department Managers to oversee and direct IT, library, records, office services, reception, secretarial, attorney and staff training, human resources, and other operational and facilities department staff throughout the Firm, including establishing goals, allocating Firm resources and evaluating performance
- Participate in developing, recommending, and implementing operational strategies including maximizing appropriate technologies, products, and services to improve and streamline the Firm’s operational capacity and efficiency
- Develop and maintain process and procedures to build employee morale, Firm culture, employee training, cross training and retention
- Research, recommend, implement, and maximize appropriate technologies, products, and services to improve and streamline the firm’s operational capacity and efficiency
- Design, maintain, and manage operational and facilities policies, procedures, functions, activities, and systems including those related to office safety, business continuity and special projects.
- Participate in and support the Firm’s activities in leasing office space space, buildout, and moving
- Oversee facility operations, maintenance, repair, improvement, security, safety, and emergency preparedness, and associated processes, products, services, and vendors; maintains relationship with property/building management
- Actively participate in preparing and managing the Firm’s operations, facilities, and capital budgets, including monitoring and controlling expenditures and analysis of budget variances
- Participate and maintain a current knowledge of law firm management practices
- Communicate and work effectively with the Executive Director, CFO, CMO, Practice Group Leaders, and Managing Partner in providing operations support that provides an efficient, supportive, and enjoyable work environment for attorneys to provide services to clients
- Participate in or lead Firm initiatives as requested
- Serve as an ad hoc member as requested of Firm Committees, work effectively with outside vendors that provide operations, facilities, and technology products and services
- Bachelor’s degree in business management or related field; MBA preferred
- Significant and proven experience in managing others including directing workload, performance management and training and staffing
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible operations/facilities management work experience and proven success in the legal profession
- Strong experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, law firm accounting and financial management software, and document management software
- Exemplary presentation, interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills
- Professional, tactful, honest, respectful, courteous, cooperative, and client-centric spirit that embraces diversity and inclusion, able to work collaboratively with all levels of the organization, maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Strong leadership, collaborative, and consensus-building skills to work closely and successfully with attorneys, managers, staff, clients, and vendors. Strong project management abilities, including demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize, analyze, organize, attend to detail, follow through, delegate, negotiate, meet deadlines and to manage conflict in a professional and productive manner
- Able to identify and analyze issues and problems, recommend and implement solutions to improve workflow efficiencies
- Able to work well in a dynamic environment, and to respond effectively with calm, resourcefulness, and flexibility in demanding situations
- This is an exempt salaried position.
- Will require occasional travel.
About McGinnis Lochridge
For more than 90 years, McGinnis Lochridge has provided legal expertise through its offices in Austin, Houston, and Dallas, TX. We are the oldest Austin-based law firm and have more than 70 attorneys throughout the firm. McGinnis Lochridge provides legal counsel on business and financial matters, as well as advocacy for clients before administrative agencies, at the State Capitol, and in courthouses across Texas and throughout the Southwest. The firm serves clients in many areas, including oil and gas, electric energy, employment and labor, corporate and tax, estate and probate, technology, land and water, and real estate, among others. McGinnis Lochridge offers competitive salary, excellent benefits, paid training, parking allowance, paid leave time, and business casual work environment. Please visit www.mcginnislaw.com for more information.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. A cover letter (including salary expectation) is required, and applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. McGinnis Lochridge is an equal employment opportunity employer.