Elias M. Yazbeck is an associate in the Houston office of McGinnis Lochridge, LLP. Mr. Yazbeck handles a wide-range of commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts and has experience in oil & gas/energy, finance, real estate, bankruptcy, and construction. Mr. Yazbeck has also assisted clients with international trade compliance requirements related to customs and cross-border trade.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Yazbeck served as a judicial intern for The Honorable Judge Marvin Isgur, Federal Bankruptcy Judge for the Southern District of Texas, and The Honorable Judge Zack Hawthorn, Federal Magistrate Judge for the Eastern District of Texas. Prior to practicing law, Mr. Yazbeck worked as a financial analyst for a full-service commercial real estate development company focused on multifamily, senior housing, affordable housing, and land assets.
Mr. Yazbeck is a born and raised Texan. He earned his Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance from the University of Texas at Austin, and his Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, from South Texas College of Law. While in law school, Mr. Yazbeck served as Articles Editor for the South Texas Law Review, Managing Editor for the Texas Bar Construction Law Journal, and President of the Real Estate and Construction Law Society. He is active in the legal community through his involvement in the Garland R. Walker Inn of Courts and the Bankruptcy Section of the Texas Bar, where he serves as Liaison of Public Education on the Young Lawyers Committee.
- Focus on litigation (trial and appeals) involving business disputes. (e.g., contract disputes, fraudulent transfer of property, oil & gas related matters such as mineral lease disputes, defaults under financing arrangements, suits to quiet title, noncompete issues, debt collection, and reposession/sequestration of collateral).
- Focus on representing creditors in Chapter 11, Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 bankruptcies and debt restructuring.
- Providing pre and post litigation legal advice to businesses and individuals on their legal rights/entitlements.
News & Publications
- Co-Author, "Recent Texas Oil and Gas Cases", Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section,State Bar of Texas, November 4, 2022
- Co-Presenter, “Hell or High Water: Force Majeure in Texas and in Bankruptcy,”CLE Webinar presented by the Bankruptcy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, May 4, 2022.
- Co-Author, “The History, Interpretation, and Amendment of Section 38.001 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code,”Published in The State Bar of Texas Construction Law Journal Volume 17, Number 2 (Winter 2021).
- Co-Author, “Construction Ahead, Expect Delays On Governmental Immunity,”Published in The State Bar of Texas Construction Law Journal Volume 17, Number 1 (Summer 2021).
- Co-Author, “Commercial Landlord’s Lessons Learned from COVID-19,” NBIZ Magazine, June 2021
Community & Professional
- Bankruptcy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas: Liaison of Public Education
- Garland R. Walker American Inn of Courts
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Preservation Houston
J.D., South Texas College of Law, 2022, summa cum laude
B.B.A., Finance, The University of Texas at Austin, 2016
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Texas