Ed is a trusted advisor serving in the role of outside counsel for clients, advising and providing critical judgment on the intersection of client legal issues and business goals to help develop practical solutions. In addition to this role, he also has extensive experience with financing and merger and acquisition transactions, as well as resolving disputes among business co-owners. Ed enjoys representing clients from a diverse set of businesses and industries, especially with an emphasis on healthcare, higher education and hospitality industries.
His community involvement spans years and is a testament to his ability to provide the vital input needed to reach each client’s goals successfully.
- Representation of physician practice groups in affiliations arrangement with hospitals, including sale of practice and professional services agreements.
- Representation of healthcare company in roll up acquisitions nationwide and eventual sale.
- Representation of healthcare company in the purchase and sale of business locations throughout Texas.
- Representation of private university in matters relating to higher education law and regulations, including Title IX.
- Representation of private university in higher education tax-exempt bond issuance.
- Representation of hospitality clients in development, operation, purchase and sale of hotels, golf courses, restaurants, travel agencies and ancillary businesses
- Representation of company borrowers in senior debt financings.
- Representation of real estate companies in the purchase and sale of commercial properties, and the negotiation of commercial leases.
- Representation of clients in various transactions involving employment agreements, separation agreements, and various types of equity and phantom equity compensation arrangements.
- Representation of physicians and physician practices in negotiating employment agreements, separation agreements and practice merger agreements.
- Representation of companies at formation, including negotiation of formation agreements, partnership agreements and/or shareholders and members agreements.
- Representation of physicians in forming, managing, growing and restructuring their practice entities.
News & Publications
- August 19, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America 2021 Names William H. Daniel as ‘Lawyer of the Year,’ Recognizes 18 McGinnis Lochridge AttorneysAugust 20, 2020
- September 3, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020 Names Edward McHorse, Robert R. Reetz, Jr. and Tim George ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 15, 2019
- Partner Ed McHorse Quoted in the Austin American-Statesman on City Corporation to Fight HomelessnessJuly 31, 2019
- May 1, 2019
- February 1, 2018
Honors & Recognition
- Recognized in The Best Laywers in America® as Lawyer of the Year in Corporate Law (2020)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law and Health Care Law (2009 – 2021)
- Texas Super Lawyers list, a Thomson Reuters service, Business/Corporate (2019-2020)
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating, Martindale.com
Community & Professional
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association
- Assistance League of Austin (Advisory Board Member, 2007-present)
- Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO), Board Member (2008 – current); Board Chair (2010-2012)
- Helping Hand Home for Children (Community Advisory Board, 2012-present)
- Foundation for the Homeless, 2017 Spirit of Compassion Award Recipient
- First Tee of Austin, 2016 Core Value Award for Responsibility Recipient
- Northwest Little League (Board Member, 2005-2013)
- Front Steps, 2012 Community Spirit Award Recipient
- Caritas of Austin (Board Member, 1999-2005; President, 2003; Community Advisory Board Chair, 2006-2007)
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1994 (with honors); Order of the Coif
Duke University, B.A., 1991
U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas, Law Clerk to the Honorable Sam Sparks, 1994-1996.
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals