Sky has devoted a substantial part of his career to representing clients in oil and gas-related disputes throughout Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico, Kansas and other states. His experience has involved significant class actions, including nationwide class actions pertaining to alleged underpayment of royalties. He has significant experience in post-production costs, gas and oil accounting, pricing and measurement cases.
Sky provides invaluable expertise for clients involved in complex disputes, with a unique understanding of how to manage large cases and sizeable dockets efficiently and effectively. Sky has recently leveraged this knowledge outside the oil and gas arena, assisting several clients in responding to U.S. Department of Justice Civil Antitrust investigations related to mergers and acquisitions.
In addition, Sky has extensive experience with various review and discovery software solutions and has completed both analytics and administrative training with the Relativity® e-discovery solution. His civil litigation experience includes e-discovery and document reviews pertaining to all aspects of the discovery process, from identification and retention to collection, processing, review, and post-production litigation support.
Information Management & E-Discovery
Sky has become an invaluable member of the firm’s representation for clients involved in large, complex disputes. He led a team of more than 40 lawyers who reviewed more than two million pages of documents for a Fortune 500 client in connection with qui tam action in federal court. The matter was related to allegations of underpayment of royalties, fraud, and violations of Minerals Management Service (MMS) regulations.
In another case, Sky assembled and managed lawyer teams to assist a client with responding to U.S. Department of Justice subpoena and Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) related to merger and acquisition, all in less than 48 hours.
Sky’s experience in oil and gas litigation includes:
- Assisting with representation of a major oil company in defense of a nationwide class action concerning royalty underpayment.
- Assisting in representation in federal court of major oil company in defense of a nationwide qui tam action related to natural gas pricing.
- Assisting in representation of a mid-sized oil and gas company in federal court alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Assisting in representation in a state district court in South Texas of a large oil and gas company in a gas measurement case.
Sky has assisted in the representation of a telecommunications company in antitrust action in federal court. He has also assisted in representing a national real estate company in commercial lease disputes.
News & Publications
- Co-author, Improve Defense Strategy with Mock Trials, Texas LawyerJuly 2010
- Co-author, Litigation Issues by ARCO v. Marshall, 31st Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas & Mineral Law InstitutionJune 2005
Community & Professional
- State Bar of Texas: Litigation Section; Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- State Bar of New Mexico: Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law Section
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
The University of New Mexico School of Law, J.D., 1999 (cum laude)
The University of New Mexico, The Robert O. Anderson Schools of Management, M.B.A., 1999
The Colorado College, B.A., 1995 (cum laude)
Briefing Attorney: Supreme Court of Texas Justice Craig T. Enoch (2001-02)
Briefing Attorney: New Mexico Supreme Court Justice Joseph F. Baca (1999-2001)
- New Mexico
- United States District Courts for the Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit