We have experience in and out of government on both sides of the political aisle. Our attorneys have represented a diverse array of clients including major corporations, industry groups, professional associations, governmental entities, coalitions and nonprofits, giving them a voice and a seat at the table on issues that affect their interests. In the process, we have helped shape the legislative and regulatory environment in Texas for decades.
Advocacy at the Capitol comes naturally for our lawyers. We have a long tradition of strong working relationships with legislators and officials at all levels and branches of state government. Many McGinnis Lochridge attorneys have served in key policy roles for leading Texas officials, including governors, legislators, attorneys general, comptrollers and Supreme Court justices.
Our clients benefit from the firm’s experience. Our attorneys have been first-hand, sleeves-rolled-up participants in generating the policies, laws, rules and regulations that govern Texas’ business environment. McGinnis Lochridge lawyers and clients have been at the Capitol when many high-stakes issues have been resolved. We helped establish the Lower Colorado River Authority and the state’s first electric cooperatives. We helped rewrite major portions of the Texas Finance Code. Our attorneys helped establish the state’s research and development tax credit and shape the Texas tax system. We also helped revise Texas’ ethics and campaign finance laws.
Our experience and capabilities include:
- Drafting legislation and developing legislative strategy.
- Guiding legislation through the legislative process.
- Advocating for state appropriations and contracts.
- Representing clients before state agencies.
- Advising on governmental ethics and campaign finance regulations.
- Establishing political action committees and advising on political contribution strategies.
- Monitoring federal, state and local political developments.
Legislative Drafting and Research
Clients of all sizes often find themselves facing an issue that requires a legislative solution. To improve the likelihood of a positive outcome, our lawyers work to analyze and fully understand the issue, then prepare an initial draft of legislation to serve as the starting point for discussion. Starting a legislative session with well-drafted legislation is helpful to everyone in the process, especially to our clients.
Our lawyers are skilled in legislative drafting and have extensive knowledge of important policy and legal areas to support client objectives at the Texas Legislature and local governments. Through our client work, we have played important roles in creating portions of current law, including parts of the Finance, Tax, Water, Utilities, Occupations, Insurance, Business Organizations, Government and Transportation Codes. In every stage of the process, our attorneys provide research and guidance on legislative language, points of order, the Legislative Rules and bill analyses.
- March 14, 2018
- February 24, 2017
- October 4, 2016
- Partner Michael Shaunessy explains to KXAN how sovereign immunity protects governmental entities in the State of Texas.August 8, 2016
- Ten McGinnis Lochridge Practice Areas Make 2010 List of Best Law Firms in U.S., a U.S. News & World Report PublicationSeptember 20, 2010