Jamie has extensive experience representing U.S. and foreign companies on a wide range of international trade compliance requirements related to customs and cross-border trade. Her areas of practice include export controls, economic and trade sanctions, import and customs law, antiboycott restrictions, and requirements related to USMCA and other free trade agreements and duty preference programs. She regularly represents companies in administrative proceedings before U.S. government agencies, including the Bureau of Industry and Security, the Office of Foreign Assets Control, the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, and the Foreign Trade Division of the U.S. Census Bureau.
She represents clients concerning a variety of trade controls compliance issues, including defending enforcement actions, filing voluntary self-disclosures and prior disclosures, responding to Penalty Notices and Claims for Liquidated Damages, applying for export licenses, filing classification, Commodity Jurisdiction and General Correspondence requests, responding to Seizure Notices, filing Protests, and conducting internal reviews for export, sanctions, and import compliance.
Based in Houston, Texas, Jamie has represented multinational corporations in complex export controls and sanctions compliance matters. She has handled customs matters involving numerous customs ports across the United States. She has extensive experience handling North American cross-border trade issues, including Origin Verifications, audits by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, prior disclosures, investigations covering related party valuation, and country of origin issues.
In 2020, Jamie embarked on an extensive study related to modern slavery and forced labor laws and how these laws impact multinational enterprises and their supply chains. She is currently writing a book on the topic with the aim of providing practical guidance for organizations on how to incorporate these new laws and requirements into their existing international compliance programs.
- Led team of outside counsel in connection with complex export control and sanctions internal investigation for multinational oil and gas company involving multiple U.S. and non-U.S. subsidiaries resulting in settlements with the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and with the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- Obtained comprehensive export licenses from BIS for multiple companies enabling exports of numerous controlled goods to numerous countries and customers, allowing business operational flexibility under a single license.
- Conducted comprehensive U.S. import compliance review, including related party valuation issues, for a large U.S.-based electronics manufacturer.
- Drafted and assisted with implementation of Export Compliance Programs, Sanctions Compliance Programs, and Import Compliance Programs for companies in the healthcare, petrochemical, oil and gas (offshore and onshore), aerospace, aviation (aircraft parts manufacturing and aircraft leasing companies), maritime, hydrographic survey, aluminum, and academic industries. Compliance programs and implementation assistance have included internal roll-out or implementation training, refresher training, drafting of policies and procedures, conducting internal audits, teaching company employees how to conduct internal trade compliance audits, and preparation of eLearning content.
- Prepared tariff classification rulings to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) regarding the tariff classification of products imported into the U.S.
- Conducted country of origin analyses of products imported into the U.S. by U.S. importer.
- Prepared and filed Commodity Jurisdiction (CJ) ruling requests with the U.S. Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) on behalf of clients in multiple industries including maritime, aerospace, medical, and academic.
- Designed and drafted comprehensive International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) licensing procedures and work instructions covering all types of DDTC licenses for export and import, Technical Assistance Agreements (TAAs), Manufacturing Licensing Agreements (MLAs), and Warehouse and Distribution Agreements (WDAs), for large U.S. defense contractor. Work instructions included detailed processes for use of ITAR compliance software used for licenses, tracking shipments under licenses, and more.
- Led team of outside counsel in conducting comprehensive internal investigation for U.S.-based multinational related to EAR and ITAR compliance, including defense services, resulting in settlements with DDTC and with BIS.
News & Publications
- U.S. Supreme Court Sides with Nestlé and Cargill in Child Labor Lawsuit, but U.S. Companies Should Not Let Their Guard DownJune 17, 2021
- February 5, 2021
- BIS Publishes Final Rule Amending the EAR to Reflect Sudan’s Removal from State Sponsor of Terrorism ListFebruary 5, 2021
- July 1, 2020
- July 1, 2020
- June 17, 2020
- June 15, 2020
- McGinnis Lochridge Expands International Trade and Transactions Practice Group With Addition of Jamie Joiner and Lindsey RoskopfFebruary 6, 2019
- Author, Out with NAFTA, In with USMCA … Are You Ready?, McGinnis Lochridge International Trade and Transactions Newsletter, July 2020 IssueJuly 30, 2020
- June 16, 2020
- Presenter, Voluntary Self-Disclosures to BIS, 45th Annual Conference, National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association of America, Rancho Mirage, CaliforniaMay 2018
- Moderator, Export Resources forum, Mayor’s Office of Trade and International Affairs, Houston, TexasNovember 2017
- Co-Author, “Avoiding The Risk of Forced Labor Abuses Through Supply Chain Due Diligence,” The Daily BugleOctober 26, 2017
- Presenter, Summary of Key U.S. Laws Regulating Cross-Border Trade and Investment: Overview of U.S. Export Controls, Sanctions, and Import Laws & Regulations, International Law Section, State Bar of TexasOctober 2017
- Presenter, Export & Sanctions Compliance Manuals and Internal ControlsSeptember 2017
- Presenter, U.S. Customs Regulatory UpdateSeptember 2017
- Presenter, Update on U.S. Sanctions: Russia, Iran, Cuba, and More, 3rd Annual Conference, Texas Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders, Galveston, TXAugust 2017
- Presenter, China Energy Trade Update, International Law Section, Houston Bar Association, Houston, TexasMay 2017
- Co-Author, “NAFTA — Uncertainty and Anticipation,” News & Events from Joiner Law FirmApril 20, 2017
- Presenter, U.S. Export Controls, Sanctions and Enforcement: An Update & Outlook Under a New Administration, Houston District Export Council, Houston, TexasApril 2017
- Presenter, U.S. Trade Controls Update - Export Controls, Sanctions, and Beyond, Houston West Chamber of Commerce, Houston, TexasMarch 2017
- Co-Author, 2013 and 2014 Year in Review section on Customs Law, Section of International Law, American Bar AssociationJanuary 2017
- Co-Author, “The Shared Responsibility of Export Compliance: When Exporters and Freight Forwarders Partner for Compliance, Both Stand to Benefit,” WorldECRJanuary 2017
- Contributing Author, U.S. Customs: A Practitioner’s Guide to Principles, Processes, and Procedures, 291-327 (Second ed.)2016
- Presenter, 2016 Compliance Year in Review: U.S. Sanctions, Export Controls, and Enforcement, Houston Designated Area Trade Association, International Compliance Professionals Association, Houston, TexasNovember 2016
- Co-Author, “BIS, State Harmonize Destination Control Statement,” WorldECROctober 2016
- Webinar Presenter, U.S. Export Controls and Sanctions Compliance for Transportation Intermediaries, Roanoke Trade Risk ManagementSeptember 2016
- Presenter, Classifying Items on the USML, Advanced Topics in Customs Compliance ConferenceFebruary 2016
- Speaker, Export Licensing Strategies Focus, Advanced Topics in Customs Compliance ConferenceFebruary 2016
- Panel Moderator, Customs Law Committee regarding the U.S. Customs Centers of Excellence and Expertise, American Bar AssociationApril 2015
- Presenter, Trade Sanctions Update, Houston Industry Trade Compliance Forum, Houston, TexasMarch 2015
- Guest, “Advancing Global Markets TV-Radio Show 2015 Networking Launch Reception”February 2015
- Co-moderator, “Understanding and Complying with BIS’ Russian-Related Sanctions” program, Section of International Law, American Bar AssociationNovember 2014
- Lecturer, Russia Oil & Gas Industry Sector Sanctions, Export University SeriesOctober 2014
- Co-Author, “Here Comes the Office of Export Enforcement! Are You Ready?” Pharmaceutical Compliance MonitorMarch 17, 2014
- March 2013
- Author, “Complying with U.S. Export Controls: Practical Considerations and Guidelines for Businesses,” Currents: Journal of International Economic Law, South Texas College of LawSeptember 2009
Honors & Recognition
- Women Small Business Champion, U.S. Small Business Administration (2015)
- Texas Super Lawyers Rising Stars list, a Thomson Reuters service (2014)
- Recipient of the Client Choice Awards for Trade and Customs Counsel in Texas (2013-2014)
Community & Professional
- Licensed as a U.S. Customs Broker (2005-present)
- Export Legal Assistance Network (Houston Area Coordinator)
- Houston Committee on Foreign Relations (Member)
Louisiana State University Law Center, J.D., 2000
Westminster College, B.A., 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas