Bill represents major financial services companies in commercial and consumer finance matters and members of the motor vehicle industry in matters relating to sales, leasing and operations. He chairs the firm’s Financial Services Practice Group. He has extensive experience representing financial services companies in virtually every phase of their operations including litigation, regulatory, compliance, workouts, transactions and bankruptcy. He also has extensive experience in representing members of the motor vehicle industry in litigation, regulatory, compliance and transactions. Bill has made presentations to industry and bar groups on Texas financing law.
Bill has represented financial services companies, members of the motor vehicle industry and other companies with a variety of matters including:
- Represents clients in regulatory and other matters involving financing, motor vehicles and sale and financing of other equipment and Represents clients in matters with the Texas Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and Office of Attorney General of Texas. Also has experience representing clients in matters with the Texas Finance Commission, Texas Department of Banking, Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending, Texas Department of Insurance and Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
- Provides highly experienced counsel to major financial services providers and companies in the vehicle industry regarding both commercial and consumer matters.
- Representation and counseling of clients regarding motor vehicle sales, leases and operations.
- Represents clients in responding to examinations, investigations and Civil Investigative Demands regarding sales and financing of motor vehicles and other goods.
- Assists clients with structuring programs for compliance with Texas and federal law.
- Represents and counsels clients in secured transactions, including financing under the Uniform Commercial Code and real property financing.
- Provided consultation on the drafting of various Texas laws and regulations governing financing and motor vehicle sales.
- Represents clients in litigation and arbitration, including litigation under the Texas Finance Code, Texas usury law, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, UCC, federal Truth-in-Lending Act and other state and federal laws.
- Represents clients in dealer litigation, lender liability disputes, security interest priority disputes and lease disputes, as well as litigation and arbitration of complex financing programs.
- Represents clients in disputes involving motor vehicle commercial and consumer financing, sales and other issues.
- Represents clients in business disputes and workouts.
- Represents clients in commercial bankruptcies, including dealer bankruptcies.
News & Publications
- 16 McGinnis Lochridge Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America & 3 Named 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch08.18.2022
- August 19, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America 2021 Names William H. Daniel as ‘Lawyer of the Year,’ Recognizes 18 McGinnis Lochridge AttorneysAugust 20, 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020 Names Edward McHorse, Robert R. Reetz, Jr. and Tim George ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 15, 2019
- August 17, 2016
- August 17, 2015
- September 8, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- August 15, 2013
- William H. Daniel named “Austin Best Lawyers Financial Services Regulation Law Lawyer of the Year" for 2012October 11, 2012
- October 10, 2012
- October 3, 2011
- March 13, 2008
- Author, Texas chapter, Consumer Protection Law, American Bar Association, 2022
- Presenter, various issues of Texas law, Legal Committee of the Association of Consumer Vehicle Lessors
- Chief Author, Texas RV Law Manual, Texas Recreational Vehicle Association.
- Author, Consumer Protection Law Developments, 2013 Texas Supplement, American Bar Association2013
- Presenter, "Issues Relating to Hurricane Harvey," Legal Committee of the Association of Consumer Vehicle Lessors09.18.2017
- Author, Consumer Protection Law Developments, Texas law chapter, American Bar Association2015
Honors & Recognition
- Named by Best Lawyers© as Lawyer of the Year in Financial Services Regulation Law – Austin, 2020-2021
- Listed in Best Lawyers©, Banking & Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, and Litigation - Banking & Finance 1995-2022
Community & Professional
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel (Board of Directors, 1994-97)
- San Juan Diego High School (Board of Trustees 2003-2009, Chair 2003-2006)
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1974 (with honors; Chancellors; Order of the Coif; Associate Editor, Texas Law Review)
The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1970 (with honors)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas