McGinnis Lochridge is a comprehensive resource for our clients in the financial services industry. We provide seasoned, highly knowledgeable counsel and representation in the courthouse, before regulators, in financial transactions and at the Texas Legislature. Our lawyers have decades of experience in the adoption and interpretation of Texas laws governing commercial and consumer financing. Although an issue may appear new or unique, there is a good chance that we have already considered it and developed a practical solution, and that we participated in developing the law that will resolve it.
The lawyers in our Financial Services Practice Group have a deep understanding of how Texas’ complex finance laws affect the industry and its practices. Our comprehensive litigation experience includes:
- Representing national clients in court, including complex litigation and class actions, and in arbitration, administrative proceedings before Texas agencies, and Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs) issued by the Texas Attorney General.
- Defending clients in commercial and consumer suits asserting lender liability, usury and other claims under various laws and statutes, including the Texas Finance Code, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, Texas Occupations Code, and federal laws including the Truth in Lending Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and other litigation.
- Representing clients in litigation against dealers and other commercial borrowers, including litigation to obtain expedited relief in order to protect, preserve and realize upon collateral, and in priority disputes with other creditors.
Regulatory Compliance and Legislation
For decades, McGinnis Lochridge lawyers have worked with regulators and financial service industry leaders to develop the Texas laws governing commercial and consumer financing. We provide our clients with specific knowledge of the industry as well as the regulators, based on years of experience resolving creditors’ problems.
We represent leading national financial service companies before various agencies, including the Office of Consumer Credit Commissioner of Texas, Finance Commission of Texas, Office of the Attorney General of Texas, Texas Department of Motor Vehicles, Texas Department of Banking, Texas Commissioner of Savings and Mortgage Lending and Texas Department of Insurance.
Our Financial Services Practice Group has many years of commercial financing experience including:
- Representing financial institutions in financing a wide range of transactions, including motor vehicle and equipment dealer loans, revolving lines of credit, other business loans, and commercial real estate and construction loans.
- Providing Texas law opinions and acting as Texas counsel in connection with securitized financing transactions that involve Texas accounts.
Creditors’ Rights, Workouts and Bankruptcy
Our Financial Services Practice Group represents major creditors in commercial workouts, forbearance agreements, foreclosures and litigation to enforce creditors’ rights. We also represent major creditors in commercial and consumer bankruptcies, replevins and other creditor rights actions.
- August 19, 2021
- November 5, 2020
- October 4, 2016
- August 24, 2016
- January 2016
- November 2, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- January 19, 2015
- November 1, 2012
- Ten McGinnis Lochridge Practice Areas Make 2010 List of Best Law Firms in U.S., a U.S. News & World Report PublicationSeptember 20, 2010