William is a commercial litigator with experience representing clients in energy, oil and gas, and other industries. William has represented some of the world’s largest energy companies, both publicly traded and private, on complex litigation matters. William also has experience representing companies and individuals with business-related litigation including matters relating to trademarks, non-competition agreements, and financial transactions.
William strives to provide his clients with thorough but practical advice. He prides himself on being able to analyze complex issues and explain them to his clients, courts, and opposing lawyers in a manner that provides a clear path to a positive outcome.
William is experienced in representing clients before state and federal courts. For example, William has defended clients at temporary injunctions hearings as the first chair, prosecuted restraining orders and injunctions as the first chair, and he routinely crafts and executes case strategy throughout all phases of litigation, including drafting and arguing dispositive motions in both state and federal court.
William’s experience as a judicial law clerk to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit provides him with a strong knowledge base for matters on appeal or likely to be subject to appellate scrutiny. William’s appellate experience consists of representing clients in interlocutory appeals before Texas courts, at the petition for review and merits stages before the Texas Supreme Court, and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. William’s experience as a judicial intern to two United States District Judges in the Southern District of Texas, the Honorable Lynn N. Hughes and Melinda Harmon, provide him with a strong understanding of judicial decision making and the procedural tools available to his clients.
Prior to joining the firm, William worked as an associate at an Am Law 100 law firm in Houston. William is a Houston native and an alumnus of St. Thomas High School.
- Served as the first chair in successfully prosecuting a temporary restraining order in a corporate control dispute. The client was successful in obtaining injunctive relief resulting in control of the company. The case was resolved with a favorable settlement for the client.
- Defended clients at a preliminary injunction hearing regarding trademark infringement claims in federal court. The court denied injunctive relief, allowing the client to continue to freely operate their business.
- Represented a healthcare company in the multi-forum defense of claims relating to trade secrets, non-competition agreements, and threatened injunctive relief. The defense of the client included obtaining a favorable ruling on a motion to dismiss brought by a CEO trying to avoid allegations of fraud. After obtaining a remand of some of the claims and a favorable discovery ruling, the matter settled.
- Helped an oil and gas operator develop a litigations strategy, including seeking a temporary restraining order, regarding operatorship of a large number of wells. After obtaining an advantageous ruling from the court, the case was resolved with a favorable settlement for the client.
- Successfully defended clients on merits briefing before the Texas Supreme Following merits briefing, the Texas Supreme Court denied review.
- Served as the first chair in defending an application for a temporary injunction in an oil and gas lease termination suit. The case was resolved with a favorable settlement for the client.
- Represented publicly traded energy companies with complex matters relating to offshore oil and gas operations governed by the Outer Continental Lands Shelf Act (“OCSLA”).
- Successfully represented a secured creditor in recovering hundreds of thousands of dollars from a Chapter 13 bankruptcy debtor.
- Represented clients in interlocutory appeals before several Texas intermediate appellate courts.
- Defended a client from a potential preferential transfer action in relation to a large retail bankruptcy.
News & Publications
- Led by McGinnis Lochridge Team, Austin-Based SP Global Defeats Preliminary Injunction Bid In Fight Over Gluten Free Noodle TrademarkNovember 9, 2020
- March 20, 2020
- August 12, 2019
- May 12, 2020
- March 20, 2020
- February 10, 2020
Honors & Recognition
- Chicago Bar Association and Spurgeon Bell Memorial Moot Court Competition Winner
- John F. Ensle Award In Evidence 16’–17’
- Seven-time CALI Award Recipient
Community & Professional
- Bar Association of The Fifth Federal Circuit
- Gentlemen’s Committee, Cattle Baron’s Ball
- Houston Bar Association: Litigation Section; Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2017 (summa cum laude, Assistant Note and Comment Editor, South Texas Law Review)
University Of Nebraska, B.A., Journalism, 2013
- Southern District of Texas
- Southern District of Texas – Bankruptcy Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- All Texas State Courts