Tim practices administrative law and litigation on behalf of oil and gas owners and operators. Tim represents clients before the Railroad Commission of Texas and the Texas General Land Office. He has helped solve complex problems with leasehold permitting and production; special field rules; rulemaking; salt water disposal injection; unitization and enhanced recovery; environmental compliance and remediation; pipeline transportation; common carrier, common purchaser, and gas utility compliance; planning and permitting for underground storage in salt caverns and depleted reservoirs; and surface land use and municipal permitting for oil and gas operations. Tim is a frequent speaker, lecturer and author on energy law topics.
E&P Planning, Permitting, and Regulatory Compliance
Tim's experience with exploration and production planning, permitting, and regulatory compliance includes:
- Assisting operators and owners with business planning and legal advice for exploration, development and expansion of oil and gas prospects and reserves – in both primary depletion and enhanced recovery operations – including allocation & PSA wells, oil and gas leasing, leasehold retained acreage provisions, pooling, surface use and accommodation, field-wide unitization, drilling contracts, joint operating agreements, marketing, pipeline easements and right-of-ways, gas gathering and processing, and pipeline transportation. Representing operators and owners in Railroad Commission of Texas contested hearings.
- Assisting operators with day-to-day regulatory compliance with rules and requirements of the Railroad Commission of Texas and the Texas General Land Office.
- Representing applicants and opponents in force pooling under the Texas Mineral Interest Pooling Act.
- Representing clients in the formation of field-wide secondary and enhanced recovery units, including planning and guidance with unit committees, preparation of unit agreements and unit operating agreements, and proceedings to obtain Railroad Commission of Texas approval.
- Representing applicants and opponents in Railroad Commission of Texas proceedings to approve Qualified Residential Subdivisions with designated drilling and producing sites and access easements.
Environmental Permitting and Compliance
Tim's experience with environmental permitting and compliance includes:
- Assisting owners and operators in planning and permitting disposal facilities for oilfield wastes regulated by the Railroad Commission, including saltwater disposal injection wells, land farms and oil and gas waste pits.
- Representing clients in connection with plugging abandoned wells, cleanup of oilfield and pipeline spills and leaks, and proceedings to determine responsibility and penalties for oil field contamination.
- Representing petrochemical, pipelines and storage facilities in connection with claims of contamination of underground water resources.
Underground / Hydrocarbon & Gas Storage and CAES (Compressed Air Energy Storage)
Tim's experience with underground hydrocarbon and gas storage and with compressed air energy storage includes:
- Assisting with permitting and development of storage facilities in salt domes, bedded salts, and depleted reservoirs for natural gas, natural gas liquids, hydrogen and compressed air energy storage.
- Assisting clients with detailed planning and regulatory requirements, including facility site selection, storage cavern permitting, brine disposal injection and day-to-day interface with Railroad Commission of Texas compliance staff.
- Representing storage operators in contested hearings and lawsuits over permits, special rules and municipal ordinances affecting underground hydrocarbon storage facilities.
Pipeline Safety, Common Carrier/Purchaser, and Gas Utility Compliance
Tim's experience with pipeline safety and with common carrier/purchaser and gas utility compliance includes:
- Counseling and representing pipeline operators about permitting, safety compliance, common carrier/common purchaser and gas utility operations, and right-of-way acquisition and condemnation.
- Representing pipeline operators in contested hearings before the Railroad Commission of Texas to obtain disputed pipeline permits, defend tariff filings, and gain approval for the abandonment of gathering and transmission lines.
- Representing pipeline operators in connection with enforcement proceedings resulting from pipeline leaks and explosions.
Surface Land Use and Municipal Ordinance Permitting
Tim's experience with surface land use and municipal ordinance permitting includes:
- Assisting operators and owners with surface damage claims and surface use accommodation claims for oil and gas, mining, pipeline and storage properties.
- Representing clients in permitting producing wells, pipelines and underground storage facilities under local municipal ordinances.
- Assisting clients with litigation to challenge municipal ordinance regulation of oil and gas wells, pipelines and storage wells.
News & Publications
- 16 McGinnis Lochridge Attorneys Named 2023 Best Lawyers in America & 3 Named 2023 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch08.18.2022
- June 3, 2022
- August 19, 2021
- May 21, 2021
- The Best Lawyers in America 2021 Names William H. Daniel as ‘Lawyer of the Year,’ Recognizes 18 McGinnis Lochridge AttorneysAugust 20, 2020
- McGinnis Lochridge Oil & Gas Attorneys to Speak at TexasBar CLE 37th Annual Course on Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resource LawSeptember 18, 2019
- September 3, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America 2020 Names Edward McHorse, Robert R. Reetz, Jr. and Tim George ‘Lawyers of the Year’August 15, 2019
- May 7, 2019
- September 10, 2018
- Chambers & Partners Ranks McGinnis Lochridge Oil & Gas Regulatory and Litigation Practice Ranks Band 1June 14, 2017
- Partner Tim George presented at the State Bar of Texas 34th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law CourseSeptember 29, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- July 25, 2016
- McGinnis Lochridge Lawyer Leads Successful XTO Defense Team in Railroad Commission Earthquake InvestigationNovember 10, 2015
- September 9, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- September 15, 2014
- September 8, 2014
- September 5, 2014
- June 13, 2014
- September 9, 2013
- August 15, 2013
- October 10, 2012
- September 10, 2012
- October 3, 2011
- September 20, 2010
- September 18, 2009
- September 9, 2008
- Author and Presenter, Force Pooling for Horizontal Wells Under the Texas Mineral Interest Pooling Act, State Bar of Texas 37th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Course, Houston, TexasSeptember 19, 2019
- August 1, 2019
- Co-Author and Presenter, Railroad Commission Update, 45th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law, Houston, TexasMarch 19, 2019
- Co-Author and Presenter, What You Need to Know About the Railroad Commission of Texas, 2018 Fundamentals of Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TexasApril 19, 2018
- Speaker, A Survey of Depth Severance Drafting Considerations and Select Issues, 63rd Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Institute, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Santa Fe, New MexicoJuly 22, 2017
- Co-Author and Presenter, Documenting Oil and Gas Leasehold Transactions to Survive the Statute of Frauds, 43rd Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas and Mineral Law Institute, UT Law CLE, Houston, TexasApril 14, 2017
- Presenter, Regulatory Update, State Bar of Texas 34th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Course, State Bar of Texas, Houston, TexasSeptember 30, 2016
- Author & Presenter, Railroad Commission Update, 42nd Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TexasApril 15, 2016
- Author & Presenter, What You Need to Know About the Railroad Commission of Texas, 2016 Fundamentals of Oil, Gas and Mineral Law, University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TexasApril 14, 2016
- Speaker, Pooling and Unitization, National Association of Royalty Owners, Texas ConventionJune 2012
- Speaker, Underground Hydrocarbon Storage in Texas, Texas Natural Gas Pipelines & Underground Storage Facilities: Legal & Regulatory Issues, HalfMoon Seminars, Arlington, TexasJanuary 2011
- Speaker, Pipelines Under Texas Law (Pipeline Access - Gas Utilities, Common Carriers & Common Purchasers - Eminent Domain & Highway ROW), ACCA-Houston Chapter, Midstream Energy Practice Group Seminar, Houston, TexasSeptember 2010
- Speaker, Pipelines Under Texas Law (Access - Gas Utilities, Common Carriers & Common Purchasers - Eminent Domain & Highway ROW), 28th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Course, Houston, TexasSeptember 2010
- Panel Member, Regulatory Issues in Forming and Operating Units in a Shale Play, Short Course on the Law of Shale Gas Plays, Institute for Energy Law, The Center for American and International Law, Fort Worth, TexasJune 2010
- Speaker, Unitization of Texas Oil and Gas Fields for Secondary and Enhanced Recovery, Texas Conservation, Capture, Pooling, and Unitization, HalfMoon Seminars, Fort Worth, TexasFebruary 2010
- Speaker, Underground Hydrocarbon Storage in Texas, Energy Practice Group Seminar, ACCA-Houston Chapter (October 2009); 2010 Oil, Gas & Energy Law Symposium, Texas Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law, UT School of Law, Austin, TexasJanuary 2010
- Speaker, Underground Hydrocarbon Storage Facilities, Texas Natural Gas Pipeline and Underground Storage Facilities: Legal and Regulatory Issues, Houston, TexasApril 2009
- January 1, 2008
- Speaker, Underground Hydrocarbon Storage in Texas, 33rd Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Institute, Houston, TexasMarch 1, 2007
- Speaker, Pooling in Texas, Review of Oil & Gas Law XX, Dallas Bar Association Energy Law Section, Dallas, Texas (April 2006); Council of Petroleum Accountants Societies (COPAS), Kerrville, Texas (April 2006) and Dallas, TexasFebruary 2007
- Speaker, Depth Limitations - Saying What you Mean: Words, Phrases, and Tools for Ownership that Changes with Depth, 29th Annual Ernest E. Smith Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Institute, Houston, TexasMarch 1, 2003
Honors & Recognition
- Chambers & Partners USA, Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (Oil & Gas), Band 1 (2019-2021)
- Listed in Best Lawyers© as Lawyer of the Year in Natural Resources Law in Austin (2020)
- Listed in Best Lawyers© as Lawyer of the Year in Natural Resources Law in Austin (2017)
- Listed in Best Lawyers© as Lawyer of the Year in Energy Law in Austin (2013)
- Listed in Best Lawyers©, Energy Law and Natural Resources Law since 2013
- Texas Super Lawyers list, a Thomson Reuters service, Energy & Natural Resources (2008-2021)
Community & Professional
- State Bar of Texas: Administrative Law Section; Oil, Gas & Energy Resources Law Section (Council Member, 2004-2007)
- Austin Bar Association: Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section (Founding Council Member)
- Houston Bar Association: Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D. (with honors; Order of the Coif; Teaching Quizmaster)
The University of Texas at Austin, B.A. (with honors)
Law Clerk: United States District Judge Eldon B. Mahon for the Northern District of Texas
Completed 40-Hour Mediation Course at the Center for Public Policy Dispute Resolution at the University of Texas School of Law